Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Life Decisions




It's crazy to believe that only three, short years ago, I was about to embark on a four-year journey of career path that would affect my entire life.

Some people at this stage in their life look back and try to remember if this is anything remotely similar to what they had envisioned themself doing as a child. Most people usually never end up following that childhood path, as God more often than not, has something else for that person in mind. But I, I was quite the opposite. I had wanted to be a nurse since I was hey-high. I remember particularly drawing a picture of a nurse and showing my dad when I was five. My dad, the doctorate engineer, studied this illustration and said, "Why do you want to be nurse? Why not a doctor". A doctor? But I wanted to be a nurse. I always did. However, I had toyed with the idea of pursuing medicine for years. My teachers told me I was smart and amicable enough to do so. But I felt directed down a different path. A path in which I felt the lord calling me to follow from a very young age.

I have to admit, I did doubt myself for quite sometime if it really was what I wanted to pursue or not. I had the opportunity of applying to nursing right from high school, which would have cut down my years of post-secondary education from 6 years to 4 years. But I felt, no, I need to wait. I want to take my time and see if this is really for me. I did two years of general studies, doing courses that could be applied to both nursing, biology or kinesiology degree (two backup plans in case nursing didn't work out). In those two years I became an active member of a Salvation Army on-campus group also known as SASF. With this group, I made many close friends and found a way to share my love for God with other people my age also pursuing a post-secondary education. I was given the wonderful and honorable opportunity to become worship leader and attended the group's weekly bible study sessions. I don't think I would have became so closely involved with this group had I been in nursing straight from high school.

I started my first year of nursing in September 2008 and haven't had a second thought about it since. Okay, I'll admit. There has been a TON of times where I felt so overwhelmed that I didn't think I would make it. But I had so much support from my family and friends, including the SASF group, to persevere and work as hard as I could. That God was on MY side. I felt that with so many people praying and pushing for me to go all the way, I knew, this career path was without a DOUBT for ME!

I feel such a peace with God since deciding to be a nurse and of all the things in life I have ever accomplished, this is one I am most proud of.

I want to be the best nurse I can be. I want people to feel the presence of Jesus when I am caring for them. I want lives to be changed and for people to know that while medical technology is wonderful, there are things that not even the smartest doctors and latest technology can fix. Sometimes a little prayer is the best medicine.

"...for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.' Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry and fed You, or thirsty and give You drink? When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and cloth You? Or when did we see You sick or in prison, and come to You?' And the King will answer and say to them, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.' " - Matthew 25:35-40

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions?