Friday, September 3, 2010

I love Autumn

So, even though autumn does not officially start until September 21st, It feels like autumn has officially begun here for me. Our weather right now is a good reflection of a typical fall day.

I used to think summer was my favorite holiday all through my life (childhood to late teens), but since now I'm realising that the summer for the working world is no more special than any other time of year, I could care less for it. Also, the weather here is not what you'd define as "summer weather". It was mid-July before I could consistantly wear my shorts every day. But autumn. Oh how I love you autumn. It actually looks and feels like autumn where I live. Cool, crisp sunny day s with the smell of burning woodstoves and spice faintly filling the air. It's a time of harvest and a time of reflection on the year that is about to end. It is a time of joyful anticipation for Christmas to come. It is a time to see friends again who've been gone all summer. It's a time to get back on schedule and into the swing of things contrary to the lazy, slow-paced summer days. It's a time for apple cider and pumpkin carving. A time for brightly knit sweaters and hearing the sound of leaves crunch underneath your feet. A time for warm furry socks, starting the fireplace, and hot turkey dinners. A time for planning your Christmas wishlist, Christmas shopping list, and Christmas plans with family.

I do love autumn.

I love the reds, golds, oranges, and browns.

I love the spiced scents. Cranberry, ginger, cinnamon and apple.

I love watching the trees slowly begin to change color and shed their leaves.

I love bundling up warm and taking romantic walks in the forest with a loved one. Maybe share a picnic in the park under a naked maple tree, with its firey leaves scattered all around us.

I love being able to see my breath in the cold, crisp autumn air.

I love picking out the perfect pumpkin for carving for the Thanksgiving pumpkin pie.

I love watching the Santa Clause Parade in late November with a large pipping hot cup of Tim Horton's hot chocolate between two gloved hands.

I love watching all the kids scatter about the streets with excitement on Halloween night, trying to hold up their overflowing bags of treats while wearing oversized costumes to stay warm.

I even love the exhilerating feeling of trying to study hard for exams while unable to get the anticipation for Christmas plans out of your head. I must be crazy.

If these don't make you the slightest bit weak in your knees, you are hopeless.














Autumn, how I love you so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions?