Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Where to work?

I graduate in one year and I still ask this question, "what am I going to do with my life?" A lot of people are dumbfounded by this question, as most respond, "Well, you're going to be a nurse, aren't you?" Yes, I will be a nurse, but the next question is, what kind of nurse do I want to be? Nursing is such a broad area to work in. There are so many specialties and different fields of nursing to go into. I guess I'm lucky in that sense, but it sure does make decision-making harder!

For the winter semester of 2012, I have to pick a location of where I want to work for my last semester of university. Usually people pick the area where they want to apply for a job in. I've got it narrowed down to three areas but I still have NO sweet clue.

1. Oncology
2. Emergency
3. Obstetrics (working with newborn babies and mommies)

I was initially thinking psychiatry, but after doing my clinical in oncology, I thought, NO WAY! I loved working with the cancer patients SO MUCH! Emergency would be cool and obstetrics would be so cute.

I start my first day of preceptorship tomorrow (basically where I job shadow a nurse for two months) in general surgery. Surgery is not the area I really want to go into, however, I know I'm likely to learn a lot. I'm praying that it goes smoothly.

Please say a prayer for me! I'm kind of scared :(

1 comment:

  1. Eeek! Big decisions! I soooo admire nurses. Whatever you concentrate on, you'll be making huge impacts on many lives! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Opinions?