Wednesday, May 4, 2011

I can do ALL things...



I feel empowered to write yet another journal for today, which is something that rarely happens. God's been using so many things, particularly movies, blogs, etc... to try to get my attention lately. Well, today was no exception. I saw the movie "Soul Surfer" today with Matthew. It is a true story about a young teenage girl named Bethany Hamilton who's dream is to become a professional surfer. On Halloween of 2003, a shark suddenly bites the left arm off of Bethany while she wades on the water on her board. Bethany is immediately rushed to the hospital where it is declared she has lost 60% of her total body blood volume and her life is in danger. After several weeks in the hospital, Bethany is finally able to go home but must learn to adjust life with only one arm. This greatly threatens her dream of becoming a pro surfer. In the movie, Bethany gives up initially on her dream, but inspiring words from friends and a heartfelt missions trip to Thailand finally gives her the courage to pursue her dream after all. She recites the ever so popular verse in Philippians 4:13, "I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me." She learns that God is with her, through it all, and is there to make her dreams possible, even with an arm amputation.

I was so inspired with this movie. I feel as though lately, and for a while now, I've been so pessimistic. Maybe it was on account of my effort to see things realistically. But I have to constantly remind myself that God is still able to work through all of life's obstacles, great and small, and all it takes is a little bit of prayer and faith for God to make the impossible, possible.

I have to keep the idea in the back of my mind constantly that I CAN achieve all my dreams with the power of Jesus Christ.

I have been making a list of goals I want to achieve for myself, both long and short term:

1. Save money
2. Finish my nursing scrapbook
3. Get to Vancouver, BC for the end of August
4. Get my license
5. Learn to play the piano
6. Graduate
7. Get a job in a field of nursing God wants me to work in (Hopefully in BC!)
8. Go to Israel / Middle East in October 2012 as grad trip
9. Go on Missions Trip (I've always felt a passion for Southeast African missions, but I am willing to go wherever I feel the Lord calling me)
10. Become involved in a church's music ministry again (in another province. Hoping for BC!)
11. Get married
12. Have kids (Jesus can handle my endometriosis =) )
13. Go to grad school

That's as far as I've got. I like to take things in stride. =)

I need some prayer. Lots of prayer, actually, to consistently be optimistic and faithful in God.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding. In - all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths." - Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions?