Saturday, July 24, 2010

UPCI




Strangeflower, in again for the second time today.

So this is completely random and off-topic from my last few entries, but lately I've been very intrigued by the United Penticostal Church International (UPCI) denomination.

I myself, was brought up in a "mis-mash" of denominations which centered predominately around Penticostal (non-apostolic), Salvation Army and Baptist. My mother was raised Salvation Army, and my father was raised a catholic but converted to Penticostal when he came to Canada.

So, yes. The United Penticostal Church. Yes, I've found this denomination particularly interesting. They hold very conservative values on the contrary of what I've been brought up in. But they also put a great emphasis on the work of the Holy Spirit, which I feel is lacking in alot of churches today.

They believe that in order to be saved you must A. Accept Jesus Christ into your heart as your personal savior / Repenting your sins. B. Be baptised in water. C. Speaking in Tongues as a gift of the Holy Spirit.

I appreciate the faith which this denomination puts in the Holy Spirit for direction in their lives, and I believe that accepting Jesus Christ in your heart and repenting your sins should be a universal act non-specific to any Christian denomination for receiving salvation. However, I do not necessarily agree with that fact that you HAVE to be baptised in the Holy Spirit and speak in Tongues in order to enter the kingdom of heaven. The bible does state, "Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries. But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men. He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. I wish you all spoke in tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification." (1 Corinthians 14:1-5)

So I am confused with this.
The bible does not state that speaking in tongues is bad OR that it is essential for salvation. It speaks that speaking in tongues is a good thing, but it is even better if you can use the gift of tongues to prophesy God's word.

Also, the UPCI denomination believes that you must be baptised in water in order to be saved. But in the bible, it states, "He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned," (Mark 16:16). I am confused my this passage, because it does state that you must believe and be baptised into order to receive salvation. But if you do not believe, you will be condemned. The bible does not say that you will be condemned if you are not baptised. Also, is the bible refering to water baptism here or the baptism of the Holy Ghost? Or both?

The women of the UPCI church also have very strict standards for the way they dress. They are discouraged from wearing pants or shorts and must wear dresses or skirts that come below the knee. They aren't allowed to cut or trim their hair and are discouraged from wearing any makeup or jewelery.

While I believe alot of these "standards" are biblical, I do not feel they all need to be taken literally.

I would really like to attend a UPCI church service sometime, just to compare it to my own values I've grown up in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions?