Thursday, December 9, 2010

Endometriosis

So after four months TO DATE of the stupid doctors thinking I had something wrong with my kidney and bladder, they have come up with a diagnosis. I have to have an ultrasound to comfirm it, but my family physician is very positive I have endometriosis. It sounds gross, but basically, the lining of your uterus, the endometrium, decides to "retrograde bleed" out of the uterus and into other surrounding area. Common places include the fallopean tubes, ovaries, bowels, bladder, even appendix. The doctor think I have it on my bladder. I have chronic pain allllll the time. I feel like my bladder is full alll the time when it isn't. And, the disgusting part about it is that I bleed from my bladder every month when I'm supposed to having my period.

The symptoms of intense pelvic pain, pressure, and what they call "hematuria" (blood in the urine), usually happens with a Urinary Tract Infection, very common in girls between the ages of 16 and 30. But when antibiotics weren't doing its job and I'd only have these problems once a month, the exact same time as my period, they knew something was wrong.

I'm kind of scared actually. Usually when endo is on your bladder, the only option to remove it is through surgury, a partial cytectomy, removing part of my bladder. Which would SUCK. I'd have to pee like every hour, since the size of my bladder would be alot smaller.

I'm also really scared since endometriosis is the major comtributor of infertility. It's estimated that 23-30% of people experiencing endometriosis have infertility.
THAT WOULD SUCK. I honestly think that might be worse than peeing all the time.

The good thing about endometriosis. It isn't life threatening. It's basically like a cancer that never kills you, but is a huge pain. It just grows and grows and attaches to organs, and bleeds and bleeds, and pains more and more, but no, you can't die from it.

The only option I have to completely get rid of it is a hysterectomy, removing my uterus, which I'm NOT doing. If I have a couple kiddies down the road and my uterus had done its purpose, I'd probably consider it then. What's the sense of it after you have kids anyway?

The causes of endo are unknown but they think there might be a genetic link, which would make perfect sense since my mom had a touch of it too. And as for infertility, well she had me! She did also have ectopic pregnancy, a complication of endo. But she had two kids, no sweat.

I best go back and trrryyy to study even though the pain makes it unbearable. I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up overdosing on medication from this just to get through my exams. I REFUSE to ruin my Christmas studying and write them in January. Refuse, refuse!

I know I promised fashion blogs, but honestly between school work and me being sick, there hasn't been much time. I'll DEFINITELY do some other the holidays :)

Until then. Can someone say a huge prayer for me? I'm actually really scared for what's going to come out of this.

Thanks

-E

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions?